Hudson-Poole Fine Jewelers, a privately-owned local business, in conjunction with the Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa is seeking an already completed work of public sculpture for a two-year lease to be installed in front of the store location at 1111 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401. Accompanying the lease is a $2,000 stipend to be paid upon completion of the installation of the sculpture. Additional funding of up to $500 will be available to assist with transportation and installation costs. The lease will run from March 2019 through March of 2021. All artists over the age of 18 are eligible to submit a proposal. There is no cost to submit a proposal.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Schedule and Deadlines:
Deadline for RFP Submissions: February 1, 2019
Winning Proposal Announced: February 15, 2019
Installation: March 14-15, 2019
Total Stipend: $2,000
Transportation & Installation: Up to $500 upon presentation of receipts
Lease Term: March 14, 2018-, March 12, 2021
SITE DESCRIPTION & INSTALLATION
Please refer to attached site images and dimensions. The site location is a span of grass seated in between the store lot and Greensboro Avenue and/or the west-facing wall of the building, directly across from the Tuscaloosa County School System offices in downtown Tuscaloosa. Concrete slab, footers, or other anchoring requirements will be considered based upon the chosen sculpture and poured to suit. Please provide a detailed plan and explanation for installation requirements, including what type of anchoring/mounting system you are using and the size of the concrete slab or footers needed. If multiple footers are needed, please include a scale plan of size and layout. Please as well describe any equipment needed for installation, such as a forklift, crane, etc., which will be provided. The work will be insured by Hudson-Poole fine Jewelers throughout the term of the lease. Be sure to consider ease in maintaining the space around the sculpture in your design.
All proposals will be reviewed and considered by the Tuscaloosa Public Art committee and a representative from Hudson-Poole Fine Jewelers. Upon award selection, artist must adhere to the installation deadline of March 14-15, 2019. The decision of the selection committee will be final.
STANDARDS OF THE ART WORK
1. Quality: In choosing the final art work, the selection committee gives highest priority to the inherent artistic excellence of the artwork and quality of craftsmanship, as well as its broad appeal to the general public.
2. Timelessness: the artwork is a two-year lease that should have aesthetic relevance to the community and reflect enduring artistic quality. The artwork should celebrate creativity and create a “sense of place.”
3. Site Compatibility and Appropriateness: Artwork must be appropriate in scale, material, form and content for both the immediate and general, social and physical environment in which the artwork will be placed.
4. Elements of Design: The artwork will be viewed from all angles so the entire surface of the piece should be considered when planning the design.
5. Permanence and Safety: Consideration will be given to structural and surface integrity, permanence and protection against theft, vandalism, and excessive maintenance and repair costs. The artwork should be durable and safe for interaction with the public, especially children. Artwork should be able to withstand the elements in terms of heat, cold, wind and rain.
6. Diversity: The committee strives for diversity in style, scale, media of the artwork and of the artists.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Please assemble all the following information into a single digital pdf file and submit by email to: Sandra Wolfe, Executive Director Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Resume/CV; if a group proposal, resume should be submitted for each artist
2. A maximum of 3 images of any single piece being submitted for consideration. There is no limit to how many pieces any one artist can submit.
3. Detailed plan and description of installation requirements including size of concrete slab or footers, and any equipment needed to install the sculpture (forklift, crane, etc.). If proposing a wall-mounted piece, please include a detailed installation plan for a brick wall.
3. The deadline for proposal submissions is February 1, 2019.
4. There is no cost to submit a proposal
Hudson-Poole Fine Jewelers, 1111 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35401
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Sandra Wolfe, Executive Director, Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa 205-758-4994 X3 email@example.com
Craig Wedderspoon, Professor of Sculpture, The University of Alabama 205-348-1898 firstname.lastname@example.org