Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Residencies
Entry Deadline: 3/31/19
A year long residency at The Umbrella Community Arts Center in Concord, MA offering free studio space and housing.
The Umbrella Community Arts Center in Concord, MA is proud to continue its Artist-in-Residence program for the 2019-2020 season. This program supports an emerging artist within the first five years of their career. The accepted artist is offered the free use of studio space and housing for a year to focus on their craft in a multidisciplinary art center. Our Artists-in-Residence create new bodies of work and engage the greater Concord community in their practice.
This program is open to emerging artists within five years of their most recent degree and not enrolled full-time in an academic program.
About the Umbrella
Our mission is to enrich lives and build a vibrant community through the arts. We inspire creativity, learning, and personal growth through arts education programs, performing and visual arts presentations, and community collaborations.
– Studio space for more than 50 artists
– Classes and workshops for children and adults in four large teaching studios
– Exhibition space in the Gallery
– Community arts initiatives, including the Musketaquid Arts & Environment program
– Performance space for all disciplines
Residency Award & Requirements
For the duration of the residency, the selected artist is offered:
– Free recently renovated studio space of approximately 220 square feet with a large south facing window, beautiful hardwood floors and tall ceilings, and thermostat controlled heat and air conditioning.
– Free housing in a one bedroom cottage adjacent to the studio space.
– Opportunity to be involved in the activities and culture of a multi-disciplinary art center, including access to an independent ceramics studio and makerspace.
As part of the residency program, an accepted Artist-in-Residence is expected to:
– Make regular, active, and productive use of the studio space for the residency period of September 1 2019 – August 15 2020.
– Present a body of work created during your residency for exhibition in Aug/Sept 2020.
– Present a minimum of three public programs of any format with the goal of engaging our community in your work. Additionally participate in The Umbrella’s Open Studios event April 4th & 5th, 2020.
– Make efforts to attend monthly Artist Meetings and other formal and informal artist events throughout the year.
– Actively document and share your residency experience via social media, blog posts, videos, photographs, etc.
– Maintain communication with Umbrella staff and participation in program evaluations.
All applications will be reviewed by a jury of The Umbrella’s staff and resident artists. The selected artist will be notified by June 1, 2019.