Mission San Luis is Looking for a Part-Time Living History Interpreter
Mission San Luis
2100 West Tennessee Street
Museum Education Program Specialist: OPS/28-hour per week
OPS Living History Interpreter: Pay Rate: $12.50-$13.50/hour
Primary Job Description:
Inform the public of the history of Mission San Luis through tours, programs and daily costumed interpretation suitable for people of all ages and abilities. Other duties as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform first person “Living history’” interpretation to the public. This will include demonstrations of period crafts, skills, and chores while attired in 17th-century clothing. Must wear historical costume while interpreting to the public.
- Assist with day to day historic maintenance tasks, including program preparation and clean up, animal husbandry, cleaning of exhibit areas, gardening, proper fire techniques, carpentry, opening and closing of reconstructed buildings, daily upkeep of costumes and cleaning shoes, consistently conducting first person historical conversation, and other related tasks.
- Maintain neatness and cleanliness in all areas [historic and non-historic] including shared office, kitchen, and living spaces.
- As needed, conduct outreach programs, docent historic site tours, maintain and order supplies for workshops and historical activities, and assist with visitor services [ticket and shop sales and orientation], and other duties as required.
- Ability to learn complex historical concepts and communicate this knowledge through interpretive techniques and skills
- Ability to research and communicate effectively [written and oral presentations]
- Comfortable with public speaking, and able to give tours to large groups.
- Able to work outdoors in all weather and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to understand and apply pertinent rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and have excellent customer service skills.
- Maintain a collegial relationship with other living history team members, volunteers, and staff in general. Enjoys working as a team to accomplish goals
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs and the ability to multitask
- Must be able to work 28 hours per week including weekends and have a flexible including work some holidays, as needed.
This position is classified OPS (Other Personnel Services). Applicants being considered for employment will be required to pass a Level 2 Criminal Background screening. Relatives of current Florida Department of State employees will not be considered.
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and three references to: Helena Sadvary