The Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Studio Art is a one hundred-twenty (120) credit hour fundamental liberal arts program aiming to cross geographical and disciplinary boundaries while cultivating critical, creative and compassionate thinkers.
To receive a BA degree in Studio Art, students must successfully complete one hundred-twenty (120) credit hours. The credit hours will be divided between:
- sixteen (16) credit hours in Foundations courses
- thirty-six (36) credit hours in liberal studies
- twenty-one (21) credit hours of studio art and/or design courses including the completion of one focus area (click here for focus area templates). Students must declare their focus area by the time they reach 90 credit hours*.
- nine (9) credit hours of art history (ARH3056, ARH3057, and one elective)
- nine (9) credit hours in additional humanities courses (outside of liberal studies)
- at least twenty-nine (29) credit hours in additional courses (including completing a foreign language through the 2220 level)
*The focus area requirement applies to all undergraduate art majors entering the Department of Art Summer C 2012 or later.
For incoming freshmen, transfer students, or students who wish to change their major to studio art, there are no pre-requisites for declaring a BA in Studio Art. There is NO portfolio review process. The minimum GPA is the university-required 2.0. Beginning the semester a student declares an art major and every semester thereafter, s/he will be charged a $125 departmental fee. Note, some studio and lab courses require an additional course fee.
Academic Performance and Retention
The Department of Art reserves the right to discontinue enrollment of art major students at any time if satisfactory academic progress is not being made. Students who have accumulated three unsatisfactory grades (U, F, D–, D, D+) in studio art or design courses taken for college credit at Florida State University or elsewhere will not be permitted to continue, be readmitted, or graduate with a major in studio art or design. Courses in which a grade below the minimum is received may only be repeated once.
BA students must maintain a minimum GPA per University requirements. If a BA student's GPA falls below the minimum, s/he is placed on probation for the following semester. If the student’s grade or GPA remains below the minimum standards by the end of the probationary semester, s/he is dismissed from the Department of Art.