Department of Art / Graduate
Note: Applications for Fall 2014 will be open from September 1st, 2013 to February 1st, 2014.
Florida State University MFA in STUDIO ART
A fully-funded, interdisciplinary, contemporary art program
The Florida State University Master of Fine Arts is an interdisciplinary program with a strong focus on research and practice. We offer outstanding, dedicated faculty and a rigorous curriculum. Our primary concern is contemporary art and the practice, history, and theories that inform it.
The MFA in STUDIO ART at Florida State is a three-year residency program.
• Each graduate student receives their own studio in the Carnaghi Arts Building (CAB) which also houses a dedicated MFA gallery with three additional project spaces.
• MFA students who wish to teach are trained in an intensive pedagogy course and given support while teaching introductory courses.
• Graduate students participate in annual paid trips to Art Basel Miami Beach international art fair
• MFA students have their own organization (The League of Graduate Artists) eligible to apply for university funding for special projects.
• We offer a dynamic visiting artist and scholar program with recent visits from Hasan Elahi, Judith Schaechter, Guerra De La Paz, Michelle Grabner, James Elkins, and Swoon.
The MFA in STUDIO ART at Florida State is a FULLY-FUNDED program
• All graduate students receive full tuition waivers and stipends.
• 100% of graduate students receive Graduate Teaching or Technical Assistantships for all 3 years of their residency.
Graduate students are eligible to apply to the following:
• Legacy Fellowships worth $10,000 per year for 3 years;
• The Fellows Society Adelaide Wilson Fellowship is a competitive and merit-based university-wide leadership award of $30,000 given for up to 3 years;
• The Florence Teaching Award. Recipients receive airfare, a teaching stipend, money toward housing, travel expenses for field trips, and assistance securing a solo show in Italy.
About our Facilities
The Carnaghi Arts Building (CAB) accommodates studio space for several departments in the College of Visual Arts, Theatre & Dance, including the Department of Art, the Department of Interior Design, and the School of Theatre. This 114,000+ square foot space provides a unique and collaborative learning environment for students in all art disciplines.
The Facility For Arts Research (FAR) is a venture of the Florida State University College of Visual Arts, Theatre & Dance, offering space and specialized equipment for spatial audio, electronics and digital fabrication, including the Small Craft Advisory Press, to researchers, faculty and students as part of a rigorous interdisciplinary investigation into art making
Overview of all facilities
• Ceramics Labs
• Computer Labs including a sound and video editing lab
• Digital Fabrication Lab - laser cutter, 3d printers, CNC milling machine, electronics bench
• MFA gallery and three additional project / installation spaces totalling 4000 ft²
• Individual 235 ft² graduate studios, common spaces and a graduate seminar room
• Photo labs (wet and digital)
• Photo documentation studio
• Painting and Drawing labs
• Sculpture labs: Woodshops, metal fabrication shops, foundry
About the Department of Art
The Department of Art at Florida State University is a research driven community of students and faculty dedicated to the dynamic interrelationship of ideas, processes and practices. By crossing geographical and disciplinary boundaries, we both discover and create new opportunities for practicing art and design.
More information online:
We encourage you to visit our campus. Please direct questions to the Department of Art at 850-644-8252 or email Elizabeth DiDonna at email@example.com
Application Deadine: February 1
Florida State University
530 W Call Street
P.O. Box 3061150
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1150