Warren Wilson College
Fine Art/Craft Internship for Recent College Graduates
Term: August 11, 2014 – June 19, 2015
Stipend: $19,000, non renewable
The Art Department at Warren Wilson College is hosting a new Fine Art/Craft Internship for recent college graduates (degree date must be no earlier than May 2011). The internship will provide recent graduates with the opportunity to continue their art practice while learning to provide technical support for the studio operations in each of the Art Department’s studio art concentrations: ceramics and sculpture, painting and drawing, photography and media arts, printmaking and bookforms. Additional responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, monitoring the woodshop, computer lab, and art gallery as well as providing assistance to the Art Department coordinator and the Department’s two student work crews.
Under the supervision of the Art Department’s faculty and coordinator, interns will learn the skills necessary to run various studios, including ordering materials and supplies, maintaining equipment, assisting students in learning techniques of different media, as well as modeling quality studio practices while doing their own creative work. During the school year the intern will be expected to work 35 hours a week; during school breaks and for approximately four weeks at the end of the spring semester, the intern will have the opportunity to pursue his/her own studio practice with access to a studio space. Interns are expected to work diligently in support of the college’s art program and craft initiative; in return they are encouraged, supported and challenged in their creative lives.
• Undergraduate degree (BA or BFA) in art preferred, however a BA in another academic discipline with significant visual arts experience will be considered.
• Commitment to complete the entire internship from August 11, 2014 – June 19, 2015
• Work constructively with Art Department faculty, crews and students
To apply, please submit an application to HR@warren-wilson.edu. Electronic submissions are required. Application should include:
• A letter of interest addressing why an internship in the Warren Wilson College Art Department is important to you and what type of experience(s) you would bring to the position
• A current resume
• Complete contact information for three current references
• A digital portfolio of 10 images of recent artworks, labeled last name_image#1, last name_image#2, etc., and sized to 5” on the longest size at 100dpi, sent via wetransfer.com to HR@warren-wilson.edu
• An image list correlated to the digital portfolio with title, date, medium and dimensions Priority will be given to applications received by July 15, 2014. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Warren Wilson College is a tier one nationally ranked, independent liberal arts college located on a 1,135- acre campus in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, North Carolina, with a unique program of rigorous academics, work, and service learning. Warren Wilson College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national, or ethnic origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation.