Each fall, the Right Whale Festival is held in Jacksonville Beach, FL to celebrate North Atlantic right whales and their seasonal return to the waters off Florida and Georgia, which is the only known right whale calving area. The 8th Annual Right Whale Festival will be held on Saturday, October 1, 2016. More information on the festival is available at www.rightwhalefestival.com.
We invite interested individuals to participate in an annual poster design contest (see previous posters on website). Designs will be voted on by the Right Whale Festival organizers and partners. The chosen poster design will also be used for t-shirts, ads, and kid’s passports program.
Please submit a pdf your poster via email: email@example.com by April 22, 2016.
Please include “RWF Call to Artists” and your last name in the subject line.
Include the following information in your submission email:
• Email address
• Phone number
• School, Year of Graduation, & Major (if applicable)
• Instructor name and contact info (if submitted as part of class project)
• Artist must be willing to work with a representative from the Right Whale Festival to create one color and one black and white ad for print advertisements, as well as, the design for t-shirts, and other materials as needed.
• Artist must provide designs files in the Adobe Design Program used upon request.
• Artists name will be included on the festival poster and listed on the rightwhalefestival.com website.
• Artists will be called on stage during festival to receive formal recognition (if artist choses to attend the festival, it will be at his/her own expense).
• Artist will be provided with each item in which their design was used including posters, t-shirts, passports, advertisements, and any additional items.
Please refer to previous years posters (available the festival website www.rightwhalefestival.com for examples. Other questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Winners will be notified by May 9, 2016.
Links to right whale images and information:
Poster Design Requirements:
• Must include a mother and calf (baby) right whale.
• Physical characteristics feature of the right whales should be anatomically correct (ex. paddle shaped flipper vs. pointed).
• Artwork must be original.
• Poster should include the Right Whale Festival logo either incorporated into the artwork or somewhere on the poster (see top left of this announcement). The logo is available on the festival website.
• Component of the poster should be easily converted to two-color/ b&w graphic, as needed for advertisements and some t-shirts.
• Include white space for sponsor logos at the bottom on the design.
• The festival is usually held the first week of the official right whale calving season in November; however, because this year’s date is earlier than usual, we’ve decided to highlight the “Early Warning System (EWS).” The EWS alerts mariners to the presence of right whales in order to alter course and avoid striking and killing a right whale in the SEUS. Inclusion of this theme in this year’s artwork is preferred. For more information about the EWS, visit: http://myfwc.com/research/wildlife/right-whales/conservation/early-warning-system/
• Text to be included (subject to change):
8th Annual Right Whale Festival
Free Admission – Family Fun
Sea Walk Pavilion
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
October 1, 2016
Beach Clean-up 9-11am
Beach Run 11am-12pm
Live Music 10-4pm
Endangered North Atlantic right whales will soon be returning to our coast to give birth to and nurse their young. Before they arrive, come learn about right whales and the ongoing efforts to protect them, such as the “Early Warning System (EWS).” While this festival is alerting the public of the upcoming arrival of the right whales, the EWS alerts mariners to the presence of right whales in order to change course and avoid striking and killing a right whale in the Southeast U.S.