Outdoor Sculpture Opportunity: At the 2014 Gulfport Outdoor Sculpture Show
The Gulfport Public Art Committee is proud to announce a Call for Entries for an exhibition of outdoor sculptures in downtown Gulfport, Mississippi.
The 2014 Gulfport Outdoor Sculpture Show will take place from June 2015 to June 2016. The committee seeks stunning outdoor sculptures to be exhibited downtown for a 12 month duration. Installation will be in the last two weeks of May, 2015
- This call is open to international artists/teams 18 years of age and older.
- Work must be available for the entire exhibition period (May 2015 to June 2016)
Selected Artists will receive a $2000 honorarium. All travel costs for delivery and pick
up of the artwork are the responsibility of the artist.
- Hotel accommodations while in Gulfport
- Special installation hardware other than standard concrete anchor bolt(s) are the
responsibility of the artist.
Selected artists must also provide an artist statement, bio, CV, and headshot for public
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Complete applications must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, February 27, 2015. All
applications will be electronic. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No materials will
- The artworks will be installed in downtown Gulfport, MS. The selection committee will
decide the final location of the selected works.
- All pads are ground level; unless a base is incorporated into the design and
- construction of a piece all works are bolted at ground level.
Work will be insured for the duration of the exhibition only.
- Work may be of any media, but must be impervious to the elements and require no
maintenance. Safety, the use of non-hazardous materials, and durability are essential
- Works requiring electricity/water or other utilities will not be considered.
- Work must be suitable for display in a public setting and can withstand adverse
weather conditions that include high winds and lots of rain/humidity.
- Work should be appropriate for an active pedestrian environment.
- Work must be able to be secured using anchor bolts.
- Tabs for anchoring work must be secure prior to installation, we do not have tools and
equipment on hand for welding or repairing sculptures.
- Work must be available for installation May 15 – May 29, 2015.
- Proposals for unbuilt work will not be accepted.
- Work must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
- The City of Gulfport will provide a fork lift and other installation services but the artist
will be required to direct installations and provide any specialized hardware needed for
- Only work made in the past 6 years will be considered for the exhibition.
Application Deadline: February 27, 2015
Finalists Notified: by email around mid-March 2015
Contracts Completed: End of March 2015
Installation: May 15 through May 29, 2015
Opening Reception: TBA June, 2015
De-installation: End of May 2016
Sculptures will be selected by a small jury including, but not limited to, local artists, business
owners and city representatives. Works will first be assessed for durability and structural
integrity. Those works accepted will go on to the jury. We will use a blind review process, so
please make sure identifying information is not imbedded in the image(s) you send.
Each artist or artist team may submit up to three works of art for consideration. Applications
must be received by 5 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Friday, February 29, 2015. There is no
application fee. Please put Gulfport Sculpture Competition in the subject line of any emails.
The following materials will be required:
- Short two-page résumé, .doc, .docx or .pdf, only. Please include contact information.
- Digital Images. Images of up to three woks (made within the last 6 years). Please
send a maximum of three images of any one work. Please label the images
lastnameA.jpg, lastnameB.jpg. For example torresA.jpg, torresB.jpg, etc. Images
should be 300 dpi at about 4×6 inches.
- Slide key- please send a document or pdf file that lists all the information about the
works as it corresponds to the slide images. Make sure you include, titles, dates,
materials, size of individual piece or overall size of works if it is a multi-part
installation. Please include any pertinent information about the installation process or
special installation requirements. The organizing committee reserves the right to reject
any work that arrives for installation and differs significantly from application images
or has installation requirements different than originally defined.
- Email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submission only. You will
need to send multiple emails if you have more than one work.
- Please put “Gulfport Sculpture Competition” in the subject line of all emails.
For questions contact Jen Torres at email@example.com, or call 601-266-6032, email is
preferred. Do not send submissions to this email address.