FSU’s Goldstein Library and The LeMoyne collaborate on reception for “The Zerbe Birds”
FSU’s Goldstein Library and The LeMoyne Center for the Visual Arts collaborate an opening reception for “The Zerbe Birds”
The Goldstein Library at Florida State University is collaborating with the LeMoyne Center for the Visual Arts of Tallahassee to bring the works of one of the 20th century’s most important expressionists, Karl Zerbe (1903-1972), to its public space. Members of the Tallahassee and the Florida State University communities are invited to an opening reception on Friday, Feb. 15, 5:30- 7:30 p.m at the Goldstein Library.
The Zerbe ‘Birds’ is an exhibition of 12 serigraphs that the German-born Boston expressionist created with the assistance of volunteers at the LeMoyne during his tenure at Florida State University before retiring in 1971. The series was inspired by Zerbe’s lifelong study of birds, their human-like qualities and his favorite symbol, the circle.
The reception will feature light refreshments, snacks and the music of pop-jazz guitarist Bob Branciforte. Art lovers will also appreciate the Goldstein Library’s large collection of award-winning children’s picture books and graphic novels. The Zerbe ‘Birds’ will be on semi-permanent display for public viewing at the Goldstein Library.
The Goldstein Library is located in the Shores Building, 142 Collegiate Loop, on the southeast corner of FSU’s Landis Green. Parking is available behind the building and in garages on Woodward, Pensacola and Call Streets after 5 p.m. For information, call (850) 644-1803 or find a map at https://www.facilities.fsu.edu/depts/planningMan/Documents/Maps/MC_AcademicMap.pdf
LeMoyne Center for the Visual Arts provides fine art exhibitions, year round art classes, and special art-related cultural events for the citizens of Tallahassee and surrounding area. Their mission is to promote and advance education, interest and participation in the contemporary visual arts by creating community through art. LeMoyne Center for the Visual Arts is located at 125 North Gadsden Street, Tallahassee.