february 12, 2020 12:30pm - february 12, 2020 1:30pm
William Johnston Building (WJB) G40
The Brazil in Perspective Lecture Series will bring together Florida State University faculty and students who conduct research on Brazil in order to create a dialogue about the many facets
The Brazil in Perspective Lecture Series will bring together Florida State University faculty and students who conduct research on Brazil in order to create a dialogue about the many facets of Brazil’s dynamic and evolving history. Through a series of bi-weekly lectures, this initiative aims to promote socially meaningful scholarship, investigate contemporary issues and problems that impact Brazil, and inspire global connections beyond the United States.
More specifically, “Brazil in Perspective,” operates as an interdisciplinary platform to explore Brazil from a myriad of perspectives ranging from film and literature to architecture and politics. Raising thought-provoking questions and pertinent issues of our time, this lecture series will consider topics such as environmental issues facing Amazônia, the image of the Brazilian home through art and architecture, and other forms of political and cultural expressions that are unique to Brazil.
- First Lecture (February 12th): Julia Kershaw “Hélio Oiticica’s Tropicália: An Examination of Domestic Space and Cold War Politics”
- Second Lecture (February 26th): Dr. Panayotis League with FSU’s Brazilian Ensemble, Group Jaraguá “Northeastern Brazilian Music”
- Third Lecture (March 11th): Dr. Carl Schmertmann “Life & Death in Brazil: National and Regional Demographic Change”
- Fourth Lecture (April 1st): Abby Rehard “Axé, Tallahassee Capoeira!”: A Local Manifestation of a Globalized Afro-Brazilian Tradition”
- Fifth Lecture (April 22nd): Alice Lopes “European Travel Writings as Occlusion of the Amazonian Storytelling” and Arelys Rodrigues “Amazonian as Irreducible Singularity in Milton Hatoum’s Dois Irmaos”
Please join us in celebrating, supporting, and fostering the culture of Brazil. We hope to see you there.