Third biennial USM Outdoor Sculpture Competition!
Applications due May 6th! 18 month show, no application fee, $2000 honorarium, possible additional stipend for lecture.
The University of Southern Mississippi and the College of Arts and Letters is proud to announce a Call for Entries for the third biennial USM Outdoor Sculpture Competition.
The University of Southern Mississippi main campus is in beautiful Hattiesburg, Mississippi about 60 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.
The competition seeks 5 stunning outdoor sculptures to be exhibited on campus for an 18 month duration. Installation will be in the last week of September 2016 and will be de-installed in March of 2018.
Check out the Facebook page of the 2014 exhibition- https://www.facebook.com/USMoutdoorsculpture/?fref=ts&ref=br_tf
- This call is open to international artists/teams 18 years of age and older.
- Work must be available for the entire exhibition period (September 2016 – March 2016).
- Work previously exhibited on campus is not eligible.
- Selected Artists will receive a $2000 honorarium. All travel costs for delivery and pick up of the artwork, or costs incurred by the artist for their own personal travel/accommodations are the responsibility of the artist. Special installation hardware other than standard concrete anchor bolt(s) are the responsibility of the artist.
- Pending grant approval, we will be offering an additional $200 in funds and accommodations for artists to do a lecture and interact with the students and public. PLEASE indicate if you would be willing to do this.
- Artists will be responsible for providing an artist statement, bio, and headshot (or selfie) for inclusion into a catalog.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Complete applications must be received by 5:00 pm on May 6, 2016. All applications will be electronic. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No materials will be returned.
- The artworks will be installed on one of five concrete pads located throughout the USM Hattiesburg campus. The selection committee will decide the final location of the selected works.
- All pads are ground level; unless a base is incorporated into the design and construction of a piece all works are bolted at ground level.
- Work will be insured for the duration of the exhibition only.
- Work may be of any media, but must be impervious to the elements and require no maintenance. Safety, the use of non-hazardous materials, and durability are essential considerations.
- Works requiring electricity/water or other utilities will not be considered.
- Work must be suitable for display in a public setting and can withstand adverse weather conditions that include high winds and lots of rain/humidity.
- Work should be appropriate for an active pedestrian environment.
- Work must be able to be secured using anchor bolts.
- Work must be available for installation September 21 – 23, 2016. Proposals for un-built work will not be accepted.
- Work must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
- USM personnel will provide a fork lift and other installation services but the artist will be required to direct complicated installations and provide any specialized hardware needed for installation.
- Only work made in the past 5 years will be considered for the exhibition.
Application Deadline: May 6, 2016
Finalists Notified: May 20, 2016
Contracts Completed: July, 2016
Installation: September 21 – 23rd, 2016
Opening Reception and Campus Walk About: September 24, 2016 TBA
De-installation: March, 2018
The artist selection panel will include representatives from the campus community including representatives from the College or Arts and letters, the Department of Art and Design and the student body. Works will first be assessed for durability and structural integrity. Those works accepted will go on to the selection committee. We will use a blind review process, so please make sure identifying information is not embedded in the image(s) you send.
Each artist or artist team may submit up to three works of art for consideration (however, only one work per artist or team will be selected). Applications must be received by 5 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Friday, May 7, 2016. There is no application fee. Please put USM Sculpture Competition in the subject line of any emails.
The following materials will be required:
- Short two-page résumé, .doc, .docx or .pdf, only. Please include contact information.
- Digital Images. Images of up to three woks (made within the last 5 years- original completion date). Please send a maximum of three images of any one work. Please label the images lastnameA.jpg, lastnameB.jpg. For example torresA.jpg, torresB.jpg, etc. Images should be 300 dpi at about 4×6 inches.
- Slide key- please send a document or pdf file that lists all the information about the works as it correspond to the slide images. Make sure you include, titles, dates, materials, size of individual piece or overall size of works if it is a multi-part installation. Please include any pertinent information about the installation process or special installation requirements. The University of Southern Mississippi reserves the right to reject any work that arrives for installation and differs significantly from application images or has installation requirements different than originally defined.
Email application materials to email@example.com. Electronic submission only. You will need to send multiple emails if you have more than one work. Please put “Sculpture Competition” in the subject line of all emails.
For questions contact Jen Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 601-266-6032, email is preferred.