The San Gemini Preservation Studies Program is now accepting applications for Summer 2015
The San Gemini Preservation Studies Program is now accepting applications for the summer 2015 field school. Now in its 16th year, San Gemini is dedicated to the preservation of cultural heritage and offers students the opportunity to study and travel in Italy.
The San Gemini Preservation Studies Program
International Institute for Restoration and Preservation
Polly Withers, Program Administrator – email@example.com
Session One (June 1 – 26)
Building Restoration – Revised program
- Restoration of Traditional Masonry Buildings in Italy
- Sketching and Analyzing Historic Buildings
- Introduction to Conservation of Archaeological Ceramics
- Workshop on Ceramics and Ceramics Conservation in Italy
Session Two (July 13 – August 7)
Book Bindings Restoration
- Introduction to the Restoration of Book Bindings in Italy
- Workshop on the Restoration of Book Bindings
- Introduction to Restoration of Paper in Books and Archival Documents
- Restoration Workshop – Paper in Books and Archival Documents
Traditional Painting Materials & Techniques
- Traditional Painting Methods and Techniques in Italy, including Issues of Weathering and Aging
- Painting Workshop – Traditional Painting Methods and Techniques in Italy
Preservation Theory and Practice in Italy
- Restoration in Italy – Issues and Theory
- Restoration of the façade of the Church of San Carlo (13th Century)
- Analysis of medieval buildings in San Gemini as part of an urban study of the city
Inter-Session Programs (June 27 – July 10):
Restoration of Canvas Support of Paintings (June 29 – July 10)
- An expert workshop dealing with the restoration of canvasses: the structural support of oil paintings. The program includes theoretical classes and practical workshops.
Inter-session Field Trip – Italy (June 28 – July 7)
- A ten day trip visiting Siena, Florence and Rome: places of cultural interest, the urban and historical development of each town, and specialized visits to places of interest to restorers.
Inter-session Field Trip – Athens (check-in Saturday, June 27 – check-out Friday, July 10)
- A twelve day visit of Athens: an exploration of the history of preservation and conservation issues facing the city lead by some of the top Athenian experts in their field.
Courses are open to students from various disciplines, both undergraduate and graduate. All lessons are taught in English.
To find out more about the program and review the syllabi, please visit http://sangeministudies.org.