The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens seeks a Museum Educator to Share artistic knowledge with diverse audiences to motivate and cultivate a love of art; teach art-looking and art-making using The Cummer’s collection both at the museum and in schools. Provide both structured interpretive programs and casual interpretative experiences for a diverse audience.
• Serve as a Museum teacher/educator for tours, classes, and select in-house programs and be the lead educator on programs for people with disabilities, including the VSA Festival.
• Assist in creation, design, implementation of curriculum design which supports school standards for school tours.
• Assist with daily set-up of gallery and studio activities used on tours.
• Provide support creating, designing and teaching Camp Cummer.
• Adapt tours, curricula, programs and teaching methods for various abilities.
• Create, design and teach art classes.
• Responsible for all VSA outreach initiatives and programs for those with disabilities, as well as other non-Weaver outreach.
• Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in studio art and art education with an emphasis in arts & healing (Master’s preferred)
• At least 3 years experience teaching or tutoring in the visual arts or ESE grades pre-k – 12 in a school, museum, or other arts center.
• Demonstrated understanding of and familiarity with implementing age-appropriate, interactive teaching practices.
• Knowledge of current education, education for those with disabilities and visitor experience theories.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
• Flexibility and respect for cultural diversity.
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced work environment.