Museum Artisan Sought for Bureau of Historical Museum
A position for a Museum Artisan at the Division of Cultural Affairs, Bureau of Historical Museums was just announced. It could be good for somebody interested in a career in museum studies.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Produces and installs exhibit panels, cases, hardware, crates and all other necessary exhibit elements, within standards of AAM and MFH and according to design specifications.
- Designs and recommends materials, fabrication and installation details.
- Maintains permanent, temporary and traveling exhibits to ensure quality, safety and availability.
- Makes reproductions of artifacts and constructs artifact mounts to ensure stability and preservation- requiring extreme care in handling, knowledge of techniques and artifact preservation requirements.
- Maintains exhibit production facilities and equipment; specifies, gathers quotes and orders supplies and equipment.
- Trains other artisans, preparators, interns and assistants as needed.
- Assists other museum staff in the completion of a variety of museum projects and programs, including set-up for events, special programs and other museum- or department-related activities.
- Performs other related duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to use a variety of wood shop, metalworking, painting and other tools and equipment.
- Ability to use a computer to produce reports, conduct research and maintain records.
- Ability to construct from conceptual designs.
- Knowledge of general carpentry and building practices.
- Knowledge of cabinet and case construction.
- Ability to work with a variety of materials such as woods, plastics, fabrics, metals, mechanical fasteners, and adhesives.
- Skilled in artistic techniques such as casting, carving, etc.
- Knowledge and skill in painting, staining, other finishing techniques.
- Skilled in cutting mat board and frame stock for making picture frames.
- Able to perform daily gallery and shop maintenance tasks.
For more information, visit http://jobs.myflorida.com/viewjob.html?refnode=3036807