Teacher – High School: VISUAL ARTS → Emphasis on SCULPTURE / ARCHITECTURE / 3D DESIGN
Alexander W. Dreyfoos School of Arts – West Palm Beach, Florida
501 S. Sapodilla Ave, WPB, FL 33401
The Alexander W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts aims to provide an outstanding arts-centered education, in concert with a strong
academic program, for students with exceptional ability in communication arts, dance, music, theatre, digital media or visual arts. The
faculty and staff, in partnership with students, parents, and the community, will strive to meet the individual creative and academic
needs of these students.
VISUAL ARTS PROGRAM at the A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts
The Visual Arts Department program encourages students to explore personal visions through a variety of mediums and materials.
Visual Arts students are offered through regular, honors, and Advanced Placement courses the opportunity explore art history, painting,
drawing, photography, digital media, three-dimensional art, and printmaking.
VISUAL ARTS FACULTY JOB and DEPARTMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE but are not limited to:
● Full support of the curriculum and mission of the A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts Visual Arts department.
● Preparation of syllabi and class assignments both in writing and verbally.
● Evaluation of students and their work using departmental criteria and state standards.
● Student feedback (all grade levels 9-12) in a clear and constructive manner.
● Submission of grades as required by the school district, school, and department.
● Communication with parents / guardians on a regular basis.
● Professional development to maintain and / or increase knowledge of materials, techniques and new technologies.
● Maintenance of safety standards on school campus and in classroom.
ESSENTIAL VISUAL ARTS JOB FUNCTIONS and OTHER DEPARTMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
▪ Sharing information concerning student needs, challenges and successes with any necessary Visual Arts full time and part-time
faculty as needed.
▪ Oversight and mentoring of hourly Artist in Residence professionals in their instructional duties.
▪ Developing and fostering professional and constructive student/teacher relationships and maintaining appropriate professional
difference and distance with students and parents at the A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts.
▪ Willing and able to adjust and adapt with work schedule for extended hours including Wednesday after school studio sessions,
Saturday duties for Spring auditions, Open Houses, fundraisers, special exhibition preparatory duties and other special functions
as required by the A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts / department.
▪ Knowing, adhering to, instructing and enforcing studio / shop safety standard and technology usage standards
▪ Holding students accountable in accordance with departmentally established standards and policies, supporting departmental
consistency and holding students accountable.
▪ Helping to maintain visual arts studio spaces: organizing equipment and material storage for safe, orderly and optimal use,
accounting for equipment, ordering and documenting inventory.
▪ Working with visual arts faculty to establish use policies, rules and consequences as they apply to the studios.
▪ Meeting and collaborating with arts faculty in ALL aspects of planning, curriculum development, audition implementation,
evaluation, decision-making and policy development.
▪ Participating and contributing in all departmental special projects, extra duties and collaborations.
▪ Understanding, embracing and implementing our concept-based curriculum, especially processes of idea development, conceptual
thinking, problem solving skills and critical discussion (including critiques).
The A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts is seeking a full-time faculty member to join our VISUAL ARTS department. This position will
have a primary focus on SCULPTURE / ARCHITECTURE / 3D-DESIGN. Applicants should have a strong background in studio art, and
preferably hold a degree in sculpture, 3D design, or a closely related field. While we prefer applicants have versatile interests, the
position will have a focus on sculpture. Applicants should hold a Florida teaching certificate, or be willing and agree to earn one upon
● Specific Sculpture faculty member responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Teaching five classes of varied sculpture levels, architecture, and portfolio development
● Participate and collaborate in department-wide events, both on and off campus
● Adjudicate semester juries (Fall and Spring) and spring auditions (Jan-Feb)
● Mentoring student artistic growth
We request that all candidates submit curriculum vitae, cover letter including a description of your teaching
philosophy to Lacey Van Reeth, Dean of Visual Arts at Lacey. VanReeth@palmbeachschools.org
In addition, interested candidates are asked to send a link to your on-line professional portfolio, providing examples of professional work
and / or student work if you have it to share.