“CLAY AS CANVAS”
Juried by Chandra DeBuse
January 5-27, 2018
The Clay Center of New Orleans seeks applicants for “Clay as Canvas,” an exhibition that celebrates the ceramic surface as a canvas for imagery, pattern, decoration, and commentary. Open to vessel-based and sculptural work, this exhibition will be on display January 5 to 27, 2018 in the Clay Center’s new gallery space in the heart of New Orleans.
“Clay as Canvas” will be juried by ceramic artist Chandra DeBuse, whose functional pottery incorporates narrative imagery, pattern, and form to amuse and delight the user, imparting a sense of play. Chandra discovered her love for functional pottery in 1998 at a community pottery studio in Lincoln, Nebraska, and then studied at Penland School of Crafts and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln before getting her MFA from the University of Florida in 2010. She completed artist residencies at the Armory Art Center in Florida and Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Tennessee before establishing her own studio in Kansas City, Missouri. In 2012, Chandra was named one of six emerging artists at the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA) conference in Seattle, Washington. In addition to making, showing and selling her work, Chandra gives demonstrations and teaches workshops at clay studios around the country.
• This exhibition is open to ceramic vessel-based and sculptural work produced within the last two years.
• All submitted pieces must be original artworks made by the applicant that have not been previously exhibited at the Clay Center gallery.
• Entry submission deadline: November 30, 2017
• Entry fee: $30 for three (3) entries; a set of pieces may be submitted as a single entry.
• Two views may be submitted for each entered piece or set.
• All entries must be submitted through the “Call for Entries” section of www.nolaclay.org. You will need to use your existing EntryThingy account or register for an EntryThingy account in order to apply. There is no cost to register for an EntryThingy account
• Submission deadline: November 30, 2017
• Notifications begin: December 9, 2017
• Shipment deadline (postmark): December 22, 2017
• Opening reception: January 5, 2018
• Exhibition on display: January 5 – 27, 2018
• Return shipments begin: February 3, 2018
Sales of Artwork
• All artwork accepted into the exhibition must be for sale. The retail price is to be set by the artist.
• If an artist’s piece or set is sold, the Clay Center will receive a 50% commission of the retail price set by the artist.
Shipping and Delivery
• Artists are responsible for the transportation or shipment of selected artworks to the exhibition venue.
• Artists are responsible for all shipping, delivery and insurance costs for accepted artworks to and from the exhibition venue.
• All accepted entries must be shipped in sturdy, reusable packaging such as boxes or crates.
• Artists must include a prepaid return shipment label with their artwork shipment, or may provide an established UPS or FedEx account number.
• The Clay Center is not liable for any damage or loss incurred in transit.
• Any claims on shipping damage must be reported by the artist to the carrier upon receipt. Artists must retain all original packing materials for inspection by the carrier until the claim is resolved.
• Crated or boxed works must be able to pass through a standard 36” doorframe.
• Settlement for any artworks damaged in transit will be the responsibility of the artist and the carrier.
• All works must be shipped by the specified shipment deadline, or they may be excluded from the exhibition.
• Artists agree to coordinate hand-delivery and pick-up of artworks with the Clay Center gallery.
Terms and Conditions
• The Clay Center of New Orleans reserves the right to exclude any incomplete or incorrect submissions from the jury process.
• The Clay Center of New Orleans reserves the right to exclude from exhibition any works that arrive at the venue in unstable or damaged condition, or differ from the submitted entry images.
• Entry fees are non-refundable.
• Accepted artwork may not be withdrawn prior to the closing date of the exhibition.
• Except upon special request, the Clay Center of New Orleans will provide all pedestals and gallery furniture.
• Artists agree to allow the Clay Center of New Orleans to use images of their artwork in promotional materials.