AIR at Harvard in Ceramics
Akio Niisato, 2011-2012 Artist in Residence.
Visit his solo exhibition: “Luminescent Vessels ’12”
at the Keiko Gallery.
July 14 – August 20, 2012
Application Deadline: June 25th, 2012
Notification of Residency: July 9th, 2012
Residency Dates: September 1st – August 31st
The Artist in Residence Program through the Ceramics Program, Office for the Arts at Harvard offers dedicated artists the opportunity to involve themselves in research and growth, pushing their art in new directions in a dynamic, urban studio connected to the Harvard community. Individuals will have the opportunity to build relevant skills in research, professional development, technical ability, creative problem solving, teaching and community involvement through our Artist in Residence Program.
To learn about our 2011-2012 Artist in Residence
, click here
The Artist in Residence Program offers
- Personal studio space (110 sq. ft.)
- 24/7 keyed studio access
- Free access to materials – clay, glaze and use of kilns (electric, raku, saggar, wood fire, soda and gas) up to excess
- Opportunities to take classes and firing workshops within the program
- Paid teaching opportunities within the program
- Attend visiting artist workshops and symposium offered within the program
- Exhibition/sales opportunities in two annual shows and sales
- Access to studio equipment and common space
- Access to studio lighting and background material for documenting work
- Website visibility
Expectations of Artist in Residence
- One year commitment
- Must spend 20 hours/week of time dedicated to personal work
- Must spend 5 hours/week dedicated to work within the program
- One public workshop presentation
- 1 hour presentations during one of each class, each of three terms
- Participation in program events and special projects with the Harvard Community
- Artist is asked to leave one work for the permanent collection
- Responsible for own housing
- A completed APPLICATION FORM in hardcopy.
- Resume in hard copy and saved as a Word document or PDF on disc.
- Artist statement in hard copy and saved as a Word document or PDF on disc.
- Personal statement in hard copy and saved as a Word document or PDF on disc.
- 10 digital images, plus one optional detail per image. Files in jpeg format at 300 dpi, with images’ longest dimensions exactly 7 inches/2100 pixels. Each image should be labeled with the following format:
image number_first initial_last name (example: 1_j_smith.jpg, 1a_j_smith.jpg, etc.). Images will be used for promotional purposes upon acceptance to the program.
- Corresponding image list in hard copy as Word document or PDF on disc. List should address each image by number in terms of: title, year, size of work, medium/techniques used.
- Work should be current and done within the last 2 years
- Two letters of reference from professionals in the field – include: name, title, address, phone number, and email address.
- No discs will be returned
- THERE IS NO FEE FOR APPLICATION
- Notification will be made via email
Send all application materials to:
Ceramics Program, Office for the Arts at Harvard
Attn: Shawn Panepinto, Acting Director
219 Western Avenue
Allston, MA 02134
June 25th, 2012 – Application postmarked by June 25th
July 2nd-6th, 2012 – Finalists will be notified to arrange a phone interview via email with Acting Director, Shawn Panepinto.
July 9th, 2012 – Notification will be made via email.
July 15, 2012 – Selected artist must accept or decline the residency.
All interested individuals are welcome to visit the Ceramics Program prior to application and or acceptance. To arrange a visit and receive more information, contact Shawn Panepinto, Acting Director, at 617.495.8680, or email at email@example.com.
If you have any further questions about the Artist in Residence Program, please contact Kathy King, Assistant to the Director at firstname.lastname@example.org