Since the mid-1990’s, Dan Torop has exhibited photographic and digital work addressing the subjective relationships between the land and its inhabitants. His exhibit “Alkali Desert” has been installed at the Center For Land Use Interpretation’s Exhibit Hall One and subsequently Exhibit Hall Three (Wendover, Utah), TOPS Gallery (Memphis, TN) and The Green Gallery (Milwaukee, WI). His 2010 series of landscapes and portraits, “Skydiving”, was exhibited at Derek Eller Gallery, New York and comprised a publication from A-Jump Books which the International Center for Photography featured in its 2013 Triennial photobooks installation. Since 1999 he has had six solo shows of his photographs in New York City. His digital “Ocean” has been installed at the American Museum of the Moving Image and the San Francisco Exploratorium.
During a 2013-14 residency at Milwaukee’s Lynden Sculpture Garden, Torop investigated the land’s history and the passage of seasons and creatures across it. This work will culminate in an exhibition and publication in 2015. He has recently been granted residencies at the MacDowell Colony (2013) and the Center for Land Use Interpretation (2011). He has contributed photography and essays to Triple Canopy, Paper Monument and numerous other publications.
Torop received his BA and a Gardner Travelling Fellowship from Harvard College and his MFA in photography from Yale School of Art.
Areas of Responsibility
Photography (incl. landscape, creatures, digital image processing)
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- Alkali Desert, Exhibit Hall One, The Center for Land Use Interpretation, Wendover, Utah, 2012-14.
- “Tahoe Passage”, Triple Canopy, issue 12 (May 5, 2011).
- Skydiving, A-Jump Books, 2010.
- “Skydiving”, Derek Eller Gallery, NY, 2010.
- “Virtual Bowery”, Triple Canopy, issue 6 (June 16, 2009).
- “Alkali Desert”, Exhibit Hall Three, The Center for Land Use Interpretation, Wendover, Utah, 2014.
- Lecture, Camera Club of New York, 2014.
- Resident, The Lynden Sculpture Garden, Milwaukee, WI, 2013-14.
- Marian O. Naumburg Fellow, The MacDowell Colony, Peterborough, NH, 2013.
- “Alkali Desert”, The Green Gallery, Milwaukee, 2013.
- “Alkali Desert”, TOPS Gallery, Memphis, 2013.
- Photobooks installation, The ICP Triennial, International Center of Photography, NY, 2013.
- Paper Monument (editors), Draw it With Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment, 2012.
- Wendover Residence Program, The Center for Land Use Interpretation, Wendover, UT, 2011.
- EdLab Digital Art Residency, Teachers College, Columbia University, NY, 2009.
- “Street View: A Selection”, Triple Canopy, issue 2 (June 19, 2008).
- Winter Resident, Eyebeam, NY, 2008.
- “Snowbound”, Derek Eller Gallery, NY, 2007.
- “Virtual Unreality”, The Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA, 2007.
- “Weather Gallery”, Fairbanks Museum, St. Johnsbury, Vermont, 2005.
- “DigitalMedia”, American Museum of the Moving Image, Astoria, NY, 2002.
- “Estimated Landscapes”, Derek Eller Gallery, NY, 2005.
- “Lost Domain”, Derek Eller Gallery, NY, 2002.